EiffelStudio Integrated Development Environment
Welcome to the central resource for EiffelStudio developers and contributors.
EiffelStudio is an advanced commercial-grade IDE for the Eiffel programming language. It is maintained and developed mostly by Eiffel Software and hosted at the Chair of Software Engineering at ETH Zurich.
On April 5th, 2006, Eiffel Software relicensed the EiffelStudio product under the Gnu Public License. Eiffel Software still offers a commercial variant. Both versions share the same source code.
EiffelStudio is a full-featured IDE offering the following features, many of them unique:
- Complete compiler for the Eiffel programming language, with Design By Contract (DBC) support and both high compile-time speed and high-performance executables, based on the Melting Ice Technology.
- Full portability (including graphics) across Windows, MacOS X, Linux, *BSD, Solaris and other operating systems
- Smart code editor
- Sophisticated multi-view browsing and viewing facilities
- Interactive debugger
- Graphical modeling tool for UML and BON with full roundtrip
- Refactoring support
- GUI development tool (EiffelBuild) and fully portable GUI library (EiffelVision)
- Many other libraries of reusable component.
The Eiffel compiler creates C code that is then handed to a standard C compiler. As a result, Eiffel programs have a run-time performance comparable to those directly written in C or C++, but with the benefits of an advanced object-oriented model and strong typing. EiffelStudio uses a highly efficient compacting garbage collector to free the developer from the burden of memory management.