Eiffel Studio binaries for Mac OS X
There are currently two separate distributions of Eiffel Studio for the PPC and the Intel platform.
- MacOS X - PPC (14.08.2006 - Revision 62488) : Eiffel57_gpl_62488_macosx-ppc.tar.7z
- MacOS X - Intel (21.08.2006 - Revision 62801) :
- App Package : EiffelStudio57.app.zip
- Note that you have to manually add /opt/local/lib to your DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in your .bash_profile and .bashrc:
NOTE: Since the C code generated by Eiffel Studio might not work properly if compiled with gcc 4, you might want to switch to GCC 3 by doing a "sudo gcc_select 3.3". However I've never encountered this problem with GCC4.
MacOS Intel: it seems that compilation fails for some people if not using gcc 4.0... It is not yet tested if the behavior of the generated code is not correct.
- At least Mac OS 10.3 I guess
- Apple's X11 (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11formacosx.html)
- Xcode (http://developer.apple.com/tools/)
- DarwinPorts (http://www.darwinports.org)
- GTK2 from darwinports Do a "sudo port install gtk2" , this will install gtk2 and all required dependencies
Extract the Eiffel57 directory from the tar.bz2 file anywhere you like, and set up your environment accordingly.
Eiffel Studio needs several environment variables in order to work properly. I suggest you put them into your .bashrc and .profile file in your home directory. (on my system .bashrc is a symlink to .profile)
You need to define the following variables:
export ISE_PLATFORM=macosx-ppc # macosx-x86 on intel export ISE_EIFFEL=<PATH TO YOUR Eiffel57 directory e.g. /Developer/Applications/Eiffel57> export EIFFEL_SRC=<PATH TO YOUR EIFFEL SVN CHECKOUT, only needed if you want to compile ES yourself> export ISE_LIBRARY=$EIFFEL_SRC # If this is not defined it defaults to ISE_EIFFEL export GOBO=$ISE_EIFFEL/library/gobo # Only needed if you want to use gobo export PATH=$PATH:$ISE_EIFFEL/studio/spec/$ISE_PLATFORM/bin:$GOBO/bin
Running Eiffel Studio
Enter "estudio" in a X-Term window. Make sure that your darwin ports installation is the first item in your PATH environment variable.
- Precompilation doesn't work
- Use Helvetica 12 as Editor font
- Click and Pull works with Apple-key + mouse click