Eiffel Studio binaries for Mac OS X
There are currently three separate distributions of Eiffel Studio for the PPC and the Intel platform.
- MacOS X - PPC (19.10.2006 - Revision 64380) : Eiffel57_gpl_64380-macosx-ppc.tar.7z
- MacOS X - Intel (21.08.2006 - Revision 62801) :
- App Package : EiffelStudio57.app.zip
- Note that you have to manually add /opt/local/lib to your DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH in your .bash_profile and .bashrc:
- MacOS X - Intel (20.10.2006 - Revision 64380) :
- Compiled Archive: Eiffel57_gpl_macosx-intel-64380.tgz
Compiling Eiffel Studio using the Porter Package
Since the binaries above are often out of date, you might want to build the latest release yourself.
- Make sure that you have all requirements that are listed in the readme section and that you have set the ISE_PLATFORM environment variable to macosx-ppc or macosx-x86 depending on your platform.
- Download the latest Porter Package from here (PorterPackage_57_XXXXX.tar)
- Extract the PorterPackage, double-clicking should work
- Open a Terminal window and cd into the PorterPackage directory
- Compile the Porter Package:
./compile_exes $ISE_PLATFORMThis will compile the complete EiffelStudio Package. This takes 1-2 hours depending on your machine.
- IMPORTANT : The installation now resides in PorterPackage/Eiffel57. In order to make it work you have to set execution permissions on the ec executable.
chmod a+x Eiffel57/studio/spec/$ISE_PLATFORM/bin/ec
- Now you can move the Eiffel57 directory to any place you want. Just make sure to set the ISE_EIFFEL evironment variable accordingly.
- If you want the gobo tools you can compile them using this script, which will place them in the correct directory and clean up: gobo-script.sh
NOTE: Since the C code generated by Eiffel Studio might not work properly if compiled with gcc 4, you might want to switch to GCC 3 by doing a "sudo gcc_select 3.3". However I've never encountered this problem with GCC4.
- At least Mac OS 10.3 I guess
- Apple's X11 (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11formacosx.html)
Note: For Mac OS 10.4 users, X11 is on the install Disk 1 (in System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg)
- Xcode (http://developer.apple.com/tools/)
- MacPorts (http://www.macports.org) previously known as Darwin Ports
- GTK2 from MacPorts: Do a "sudo port install gtk2" , this will install gtk2 and all required dependencies
Extract the Eiffel57 directory from the tar.7z or the tgz file anywhere you like, and set up your environment accordingly.
Eiffel Studio needs several environment variables in order to work properly. I suggest you put them into your .bashrc and .profile file in your home directory. (on my system .bashrc is a symlink to .profile)
You need to define the following variables:
export ISE_PLATFORM=macosx-ppc # macosx-x86 on intel export ISE_EIFFEL=<PATH TO YOUR Eiffel57 directory e.g. /Developer/Applications/Eiffel57> export EIFFEL_SRC=<PATH TO YOUR EIFFEL SVN CHECKOUT, only needed if you want to compile ES yourself> export ISE_LIBRARY=$EIFFEL_SRC # If this is not defined it defaults to ISE_EIFFEL export GOBO=$ISE_EIFFEL/library/gobo # Only needed if you want to use gobo export PATH=$PATH:$ISE_EIFFEL/studio/spec/$ISE_PLATFORM/bin:$GOBO/bin
Running Eiffel Studio
Enter "estudio" in a X-Term window. Make sure that your macports installation is the first item in your PATH environment variable.
- Use Helvetica 12 as Editor font
- Pick and Drop works with Apple-key + mouse click